“We never fail when we try to do our duty, we always fail when we neglect to do it.”
Part of making goals is learning how to prioritize what is most important to you. This is going to be different for everyone. When you learn what is the most important that becomes your duty.
I think if I had to list my top 5 priorities it would go something like follows:
1) God – If it wasn’t for God I wouldn’t exist. I know that God the Father created me for to have joy and to learn to live with him again someday. He sent his only begotten Son Jesus Christ to redeem me of my sins. He guides me through the Holy Ghost so that I can learn to make correct decisions to return to Him someday.
2) Wife – I love Denise so much it is hard to put into words. She is my friend, my partner, my lover, the mother of my children, my confident, and my greatest cheerleader. I trust her with everything and place my hope and eternal happiness in making her happy.
3) Family – They love me unconditionally and so I am compelled to love them in the same manner. My family is by no means perfect, but even though we have tested each other many times I have found that family is a bond that cannot be broken.
4) Work – I believe that honest work makes an honest man. To that end I intend to give my all in the pursuit of happiness and prosperity. To my job I owe my loyalty and diligence. I have an unspoken duty to any employer to give them a hard day’s labour and in return I expect fair and adequate compensation.
5) Church – Some might be confused with this being number 5, but to explain Church (to me) is not the same as God. Church is a community of faith that helps us become closer to God. I believe that all humanity are brother and sisters. I believe that we must love and help all regardless of who they are, even if they hate me or do not agree with my beliefs.